Commission on University Support
Information Technology Advisory Committee
Network Infrastructure and Services (NI&S),
Collaborative Computing Solutions (CCS),
and IT Experience & Engagement (ITE²)
|William Dougherty||Executive Director, Network Infrastructure and Services|
|Dr. Charles Clancy||Director, Hume Center for National Security and Technology|
|Al Cooper||Director, Business & Management Systems, President's Office|
|Jeff Crowder||Executive Director, Strategic Initiatives, VP for Information Technology|
|Justin Davenport||Director, Information Technology, National Capital Region Operations|
|Dr. Scott Farmer||Director, Outreach Information Services|
|Chief Kevin Foust||Chief of Police and Director of Security|
|Dr. Mark Gardner||Network Research Manager|
|Hikmet Gursoy||Associate Director of Information Technology, Division of Student Affairs|
|Carl Harris||Chief Technology Architect, VP for Information Technology|
|Dr. Chris Kiwus||Associate Vice President and Chief Facilities Officer|
|Ed Lener||Associate Director, Collection Management, Library|
|Dr. Nick Polys||Director of Visual Computing, Advanced Research Computing|
|Dr. Jeff Reed||Willis G. Worcester Professor, Bradley Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, and Director, Wireless @ Virginia Tech|
|Tommy Regan||Senior Director, Information Technology, Athletics|
|Dr. Glenda Scales||Associate Dean for International Programs and Information Technology, College of Engineering|
|Dr. Kevin Shinpaugh||Director, IT and Computing Services, Biocomplexity Institute|
|Ryan Spoon||Associate Director of Information Technology, College of Engineering|
|Brenda van Gelder||Executive Director, IT Policy & Strategic Engagement|
|Andrea (Andi) Sherlock||Electrical Engineering, Class of 2017|
|Landon Biggs||Computer Engineering|
|Network Infrastructure & Services|
|Morgan Allen||Director, Software Development|
|Ludwig Gantner||Solutions Architect|
|Richard Hach||Director, Special Projects and Initiatives|
|Joe Hutson||Chief Operations Officer and Deputy Executive Director|
|Dan Joyce||Human Resources
|Brian Jones||Director, Converged Network Operations|
|Steve Lee||Director, Network Engineering Operations|
|Mike Moyer||Manager, Data Center|
|Pat Rodgers||Chief Financial and Administration Officer|
|Matt Serr||Director, Network Infrastructure Installation|
May 6, 2016 Meeting
November 30, 2015 Meeting
May 8, 2015 Meeting
December 5, 2014 Meeting
May 6, 2014 Meeting
December 9, 2013 Meeting
November 29, 2011 Meeting
May 3, 2011 Meeting
- Minutes DOC | PDF
- Unified Communications presentation PDF
- UC Class A Building list
- UC Class B Building list
- UC Class C Building list
May 6, 2010 Meeting
December 7, 2009 Meeting
Charge: To provide advice and counsel that assists in support of Network Infrastructure and Services' (NI&S) strategic goals at Virginia Tech.
Current Environment for Network Infrastructure and Services: Rapid changes in technology, mobility, flexibility, and the nature of information technology infrastructure are changing the way the university community works. The university community's expectations and demand for the benefits of that technology continue to grow.
NI&S must understand and forecast the needs, and identify leading-edge technological advances to make them available to the university community. Access to next generation technologies, protocols, services, and applications is critical, as the university pursues top-tier research status; strives to create a modern, technology enriched, learning environment; and fulfills its outreach mission to improve the quality of life for the Commonwealth's citizens.
NI&S collaborates with other departments in the Division of Information Technology to provide network and computer management, support, emphasizing security and reliability to the entire university community.
Network Infrastructure and Services includes the following centers of activity:
- Administration, Accounting, Finance, and Logistics
- Customer Service
- Network Engineering Operations
- Network Infrastructure Installation
- Software Development
- User Experience (UX) Consulting
- Applications Management
- Data Center
- Emergency Communications Technology
The sub-committee will advise and assist the NI&S leadership as they:
- Establish strategic direction for technological solutions to enable Virginia Tech to accomplish its mission for instruction, research, and outreach.
- Determine how NI&S operating units can better meet the needs of the university community.
- Identify and adopt technology solutions that meet current needs, anticipate future demands, and address a combination of performance, availability, reliability and security.
- Emphasize integrated information technology infrastructure strategies to advance the university's overall excellence and to maximize its competitive advantage in the digital economy.
Sub-committee Membership and Activity:
- Members will be invited to serve on the advisory committee by the Executive Director for Network Infrastructure and Services.
- The sub-committee's size will remain small enough to encourage fluid interaction and discussion.
- Members will meet approximately once each semester to discuss Network Infrastructure and Services' goals and challenges and will receive a request for agenda items prior to each meeting.
Network Infrastructure and Services' senior staff will participate in sub-committee meetings with all other staff available to contribute as needed.