Wireless network service is available in all academic spaces, residence hall rooms, and also a growing number of outdoor spaces.
Before you connect:
1. Be registered for wireless service
- Students are automatically registered for wireless service.
- Faculty and staff may obtain wireless service through their department. Contact your organization's Communications Liaison if you are an employee in need of wireless service.
2. Your Network Password
Your Network Password is different from your PID password.
3. Connect to the eduroam network
eduroam is available across the Virginia Tech campuses. Virginia Tech students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to use the eduroam wireless network, which will also enable Internet access at participating universities and institutions.
Virginia Tech wireless networks use the IEEE 802.1x authentication standard. Once configured, there will be no need to manually authenticate with each access to the wireless network.
- Select the eduroam network from the list of available networks on your device.
- Your username will be [yourPID]@vt.edu and your password will be your network password.
- If you are unsure of your network password you can generate one or view a previously generated password.
Students are not permitted to connect personal wireless routers to the Virginia Tech network in buildings with Virginia Tech wireless service. Each residence hall room, with the current exception of Thomas and Monteith Halls, has one active 1 Gigabit per second (Gbps) wired network portal. Residents may purchase an Ethernet switch to provide more wired network connections.
Additional Wireless Devices in the Residence Halls
Available for the residence hall network only, users can connect Smart TVs and game consoles that cannot connect to eduroam to the VirginiaTech SSID. Register devices by MAC address at devicemanager.nis.vt.edu. Step-by-step instructions are available from 4Help.
Virginia Tech is a member of the eduroam community. If you are visiting from another participating eduroam institution, just connect to the eduroam wireless network.
You can also create a free one-day guest wireless account by connecting your device to the VirginiaTech network.